Pakistan motorway rape: Picture of prime suspect released as hunt continues

0
108

LAHORE – The Punjab government has announced a reward for Rs5 million reward for helping arrest the prime suspects in the brutal gang-rape of a woman on Lahore-Sialkot motorway earlier this week.



The 27-year-old suspect, identified as Abid Ali of Fort Abbas, and his accomplice Waqar-ul-Hassan had raped the mother of three on the motorway in Gujjarpura area of Lahore late Wednesday night.

Earlier today, investigators had released Abid’s picture, which led to a police raid in a village of Minchanbad. Abid and his wife, however, fled the scene before the police arrived, according to local media reports.

Abid’s DNA profile matched with DNA samples recovered from the victim’s clothing.

Punjab Chief Minister Sardar Usman Buzdar and Punjab Inspector General of Police (IGP) Inam Ghani, in a joint presser, said the suspects have a criminal background.

Abid Ali robbed a family in Fort Abbas in 2013, and during that robbery, he raped the woman and her daughter. The victim family, media reports say, was forced later for reconciliation due to the pressure and fear of the suspect.

His accomplice Waqar was recently released from a prison.

IGP Inam Ghani said that the police has the entire record of both suspects in the case. “A special investigation was constituted in which officers from the CTD, Special Branch, and an officer from the unit of violence against women were a part of the team,” Ghani said.

He said that the entire area where the incident took place was canvassed.

The authorities had collected samples of 53 suspects in total.

This is a developing story and will be updated soon.