A UK-based monthly news magazine, ‘The Asian World’, has issued a list of 10 international leaders who fought hard to overcome the effect of the coronavirus pandemic, and Prime Minister Imran Khan is on top of the list.
Khan has been hailed as the best politician in the world for his prompt and somewhat different approach towards the global pandemic. At a time when the world leaders were rushing for a blanket lockdown, Khan took an exception and adopted the smart lockdown strategy to keep the balance between economy and health, and rightly so.Unlike developed countries, PM Imran had to fight a two-front war. Besides saving his countrymen from the novel virus, he also had to look after 5 million people who live below the poverty line and rely on daily wages for bread and butter.
To minimize the impact of the lockdown, the government introduced a multibillion-dollar relief fund for the poverty-stricken faction of the society and provided Rs. 12,000 each among 20 million needy families. Besides, he introduced separate initiatives for laborers, daily wage workers, small-medium enterprises (SMEs), and those who lost jobs during the global health emergency.
And then he had a fragile economy on the verge of destruction. Thus, closing down the country wasn’t an option for Imran Khan. He opted for a smart lockdown strategy and used technology to identify the hotspots and sealed those areas instead of shutting down the entire country. The approach yielded results, and within a few months, Pakistan emerged victorious against the Covid-19 pandemic – which until June this year, seemed nearly impossible.
PM’s Special Assistant on Overseas Pakistanis, Syed Zulfi Bukhari, has also made it to the list. He was included for running a special flight operation to bring back tens of thousands of Pakistanis stranded abroad…
Among other leaders, New Zealand Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern, Finland premier, Sanna Marin, Canadian Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, and former Prime Minister of Ireland, Leo Varadkar, made the cut.
The complete list is given below:
1. Imran Khan, current Prime Minister of Pakistan
2. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Congresswoman for New York, USA
3. Jacinda Ardern, current Prime Minister of New Zealand
4. Sanna Marin, current Prime Minister of Finland
5. Ilhan Omar, Congresswoman for Minnesota, USA
6. Justin Trudeau, current Prime Minister of Canada
7. Syed Zulfikar Bukhari, SAPM on Overseas Pakistani
8. Leo Varadkar, former Prime Minister of Ireland
9. Jagmeet Singh, Canadian Member of Parliament
10. Fawzia Zainal, Bahraini, elected first woman speaker of Bahraini